Mechanical Designer 1/30/18
Departments : Engineering
Locations : Hillsdale MI
SUMMARY: The Designer will report to the Manufacturing Engineer Manager. The Designer will not have any direct reports. Key aspects of the Position will be as follows:
- Adhere to established Safety Practices / Procedures to assure Employee Safety at all times.
- Escalate using established processes any Safety Concern.
- Work interdependently in adherence with company policy, procedures, and established best practices.
- Training as required to perform Design related activities using Solid Works, and AutoCAD.
- Contribute proactively in a cross functional capacity to assure that all Process drawings, fixture drawings, Tooling and gaging designs meet Paragons, and Customer expectations.
- Designs are to be addressed in a robust manner during launch.
- Assure objectives are completed on time and within budget parameters.
- Occasionally the Designer may participate in Technical Reviews with the Customer during Estimating / Feasibility. Professional attire, conduct, and ethics are required during these events.
- The Designer will have responsibilities in the following areas affecting Quality:
- Participation of Process Flow, PFMEA, and Control Plan development
- Produce process drawings using Solid works, detailing all product features, tolerances, and gaging requirements on an operation, by operation layout.
- Produce Fixture drawings that meet manufacturing and product requirements.
- Produce gaging designs
- Produce tooling set up drawings including all component details and set up requirements.
- Create manufacturing line and plant layouts using Solid works.
- All other design projects as requested by Engineering Manager
- The Designer will contribute to Continual Improvement via the following:
- Review of Line Metrics
- Action Items / ECR’s for improvements in Safety, Throughput, Quality, or Communication
- Participating in and reacting to objectives created from Layered Process Audits
- Positively reinforcing “best practices” when interacting with Line Operators on the Plant Floor
- Review of Line Metrics
- The Designer will contribute to company profitability in the following ways:
- Selection and usage of “best practice” work holding / tooling / and metrology devices
- Review and Refinement off Process drawings
- Creating and Auditing Standardized Work diagrams
- Working in Proactive Manner with emphasis on preventing failure modes
- Reacting to Failure Modes not prevented, with a robust approach to assure effectiveness and a reduced risk for recurrence
- Making decisions, whenever possible, based on objective information
- 2+ years’ experience in an Engineering Design Capacity (Precision Machining Required)
- Associates Degree in Design Engineering or a related field
- Trained in Solid Works and able to use Solid Works to create Process drawings, fixture drawings, tooling layouts, and gage design.
- Solid Understanding of LEAN is preferred
- Must be able to work well within a Team Environment