Project Engineer 1/30/18
Departments : Project Engineering
Locations : Hillsdale MI
Summary: The Project Engineer is responsible for hands-on manufacturing systems design and project management of Automotive Engine/Transmission/Driveline projects from initial project planning through preparation of Project launch team and through successful production launch. This position provides opportunities for leadership of launch team(s) and communicates with Customer(s) to assure safety, quality and timely completion of projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develops project objectives by reviewing project deliverables and customer requirements.
- Detail oriented with strong people and team skills
- Achieve all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements
- Determines project responsibilities by identifying project phases and elements; works with team leaders to assign appropriate personnel required to meet project phases and elements.
- Creates project schedule and production launch plan and specifications; calculating time requirements; sequencing project elements.
- Maintains project schedule by monitoring project progress; coordinating activities; resolving problems.
- Track project costs by reviewing expenditures by logging all spend by category
- Prepares project status reports using Microsoft project by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by following procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Maintains project data base using Plex system
- Maintains and follows up on all open issues for the project. Communicating with internal and external team members on a weekly basis.
- Identifies and communicates problems with timing project costs or engineering issues to the launch team and management. Identifies and communicated solutions for timing cost or technical issues.
- Maintains product and company reputation by complying with federal and state regulations.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Identify engineering problems and ensure solutions are implemented
- Evaluate, organize and priorities workload within a schedule
- Work with outside tooling gaging and machine tool vendors and contractors to ensure all equipment is fit for purpose using team
- Work with launch team to generate SOW forms to be used for all equipment quoting and run-off acceptance.
- Work will require independent problem solving, decision making and the implementation of standard engineering procedures to direct the flow of engineering work
- All Paragon Metals and customer safety, quality, delivery, and product performance specifications meet all requirements
- Monthly report out of project(s) status of cost and timing using Microsoft Project and Plex systems
- Project(s) completion on time and on budget
- Projects to meet all 1ATF 16949:2016 requirements
- All internal Plex system compliance for document, and record retention
Competency: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Must have experience in Precision Metrology, MSA requirements, and Statistical Process Control Knowledge.
- A strong understanding of GD&T with Application Experience is preferred.
- Must be able to create technical presentations and participate in Technical reviews with our Customer(s) using both written and verbal skills.
- Demonstrate a solid grasp of business concepts, realistic judgment, and quantitative and critical thinking skills.
- Well organized, with attention to detail, good computer skills with email, MS Office Suite and MS Project.
- Open to local travel as well as outside of Michigan on average 4 – 6 days per month. Ability to maintain data integrity and accuracy and use data to identify and solve problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- 4 year technical degree in Engineering and/or 6-8 years of solid experience in automotive component manufacturing processes.
- Must have experience in creating PFMEA, DFMEA, Control plans, Project Management timing and oversite,
- Must have experience in various Manufacturing Methods and procedures required for high volume manufacturing utilizing CNC Lathes, CNC Vertical and Horizontal Machining centers, Automation systems including pick and place and robotic load systems, automatic part handling.
- Manufacturing system design and set up including fixturing design. Process development in Metal removal, Gaging and Gaging systems integration, and system integration with CNC Machinery.
- Integrity requires being honest and ethical.
- Stress Tolerance requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations; and compressed deadlines
- Primary language is English requires proficiency both verbal and written.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems in a professional manner.
- Reasoning ability must be consistent with established company policies and procedures.
Occupational Demands: This is an office based position requiring work within the facility in the production environment, and occasional offsite travel. Requires capacity to sit, or stand for extended periods of time, with occasional bending, lifting and/or twisting to complete routine tasks as needed. Successful incumbent will be able to accomplish the essential functions of the job meeting the occupational demands with/without reasonable accommodation.